Sunday, May 30, 2010

Super Fun Review Activity

I had such a great day in primary today, I had to blog about it. I'm not good at posting my ideas ahead of time. They are usually evolving in my head throughout the week and then Saturdays tend to be so busy I am just lucky to get everything prepared, clothes washed, children bathed, and get to bed early enough to drag myself out of bed for 8:30 church.

Anyway...today was one of those days that all came together nicely. It was easy to prepare and the children had as much fun as I did. Being the last Sunday of the month, it was pass off day. The children earn an icecream scoop each month as an incentive to master each song for the program. But they know the May song so well I figured we might as well just do a review of all the program songs and of course, have some fun doing it!

Here's what I did:
*I had 5 envelopes numbered 1-5 taped to the piano. Inside each one had a piece of paper that listed the song and a fun way to sing it.
*I had the children sit in a circle on the floor, just for something fun and different.
*As each child came in I handed them a piece of paper with their name on it (8.5 x 11 computer paper cut in half length-wise)
*Once every child had a paper and was sitting quietly, I chose a child to go pick #1 and read it to the group. Then we sang the song, did the activity, and went on to the next envelope. Here's how we did each song:

#1: I Know that My Savior Loves Me. Wave your paper in the air when you sing the word, "Jesus." (happens 3 times if you sing both verses)

#2: Follow the Prophet. Snap your paper whenever you sing the word, "Prophet." (hold each end of the paper in your hands with some slack in the paper. when they sing "prophet" move your hands apart so the paper is taught and makes a snapping sound. happens 8 times for us because we sing 2 verses + the chorus at the end)

#3: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Tap a rhythm with your rhythm sticks. (I hand out 2 unsharpened pencils to each child for rhythm sticks. They are a cheap alternative to wooden dowels! I had them tap the ground twice, then the sticks together twice. We repeated that pattern throughout the whole song. I made it a little more complicated for senior primary.)

#4. He Sent His Son. Help Sister Walker lead the music. (I handed out glow sticks, purchased 5/$1 from the dollar store. I turned out the lights, although our primary room has skylights and so many windows it wasn't really dark, but the kids still loved the glow sticks! I showed them how to conduct 3/4 time and we all conducted the song together. Then we converted the sticks into bracelets and they got to keep them.)

#5. Choose the Right Way. Stand up and sing word-perfect to earn a Singing Time Scoop. (Like I said before, I have a poster that started out with just an icecream cone. Each month as they master the song, meaning they can sing it with no picture helps, everyone standing reverently and singing all the words, they get a blank icecream scoop. I choose a child to color it according to their favorite flavor of icecream and then glue it to the poster.)

Overall it was awesome. We had just enough time to sing all 5 songs and all the activities kept the kids motivated and involved and SINGING, so I was happy. And every child got to participate and take something home so they were happy, too.

1 comment:

Tikki said...

Fantastic Ideas :)